Temple Trees

The history of Temple Trees goes back to early 19th century. Its ownership passed though several prominent British administrators and traders. It was owned between 1830-1834 by John Walbeoff of the British Civil Service, who headed the Cinnamon Department of Ceylon. Later it was sold to John Philip Green who named it "Temple Trees" in 1856 for the Temple Trees that grew around the bungalow.

The house was purchased by the British Government of Ceylon and became the residence of the Colonial Secretary. Since 1948 it became the residence of the Prime Minister of Ceylon and D. S. Senanayake became the first Prime Minister to take up residence. Some Prime Ministers since then have preferred to stay at their private homes and only use Temple Trees for official functions.

Link :www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister's_House_(Colombo)



Event Calender

Read More

Contact

 Mailing Address

Prime Minister's Office
No: 58, Sir Ernest De Silva Mawatha,
Colombo 07.
Sri Lanka.

 

 Contact Numbers

  +94 (112) 575317/18
  +94 (112) 370737/38
  mail : info@pmoffice.gov.lk
  Fax : +94 (112) 575310
  Fax : +94 (112) 574143


© 2017 - The Prime Minister's Office
Solution by Sri lanka Telecom Services
Last Updated Date : 2017-02-22
web counter